What Super Bowl Hangover?
After a long day of driving in support of the riders and then starting the ride home, Jean and I were able to stop in Monroeville (the east side of Pittsburgh), and of course watch our Eagles. Surprisingly, we really didn’t miss the game. The weather in Philly delayed the start of the game and as a result we were pulled up to the hotel as the kickoff was happening. Can’t say I wasn’t nervous as the game began. How would the Eagles play? Would they be sloppy?
Would the SUPER BOWL LII CHAMPION banner raising bother the players? Would there be a Super Bowl hangover?
Well we all know the answer now. The answers are Good Enough, Yes, Mediocre, and a resounding NO. As the Eagles had to guard against a Super Bowl hangover, I think I am going to have to guard against a RHBE Hangover.
My time as the SAGger with the SWAGGER has come to an end. It was an incredible ride both literally and figuratively. It was highly emotional. There was sadness (listening to all the stories from the tributes), there were tears (I’m not crying, you’re crying), there was A LOT of laughter (what a great group of people), there was frustration (would this damn road even out), there was exhaustion (for obvious reasons), there were moments of fear (what happens during the ride stays on the ride). I will miss the time with my group!
I learned a lot!
The things that I learned on 2018 RHBE Rider:
- I learned that you are never too old to make new BFFs!
- I learned that when you put 5 people with strong personalities in a confined space that interesting things can happen
- I learned that it is impossible to take driving directions from multiple people at the same time (see above point)
- I learned that Lake Erie is one big ass lake! And… that is one of the smaller Great Lakes
- I learned that in Cleveland if it is too hot, they close the public pools… and no I have not figured that out yet.
- I learned that Leah is a machine on the bike – so impressed and a little intimidated!
- I learned that Leah is fascinated with Amish life
- I learned that David is quite possibly MORE sarcastic than I am. For the people that know me, let that sink in for a minute!
- I learned that Leah and Terri Ann are fascinated with cows
- I learned that David knows how to slaughter a cow. (Yes there were some tense moments there)
- I learned that Terri Ann LOVES hugs!
- I learned that Jean loves to stop at wineries for taste testing (ok – I already knew that)
It is really hard to say that I learned something new about Jean other than I am constantly amazed at how lucky I am to walk through life with her by my side!
Tis better to give than receive
As children we are taught that it is better to give than to receive. While that is true, I think we should also remind everyone that when you give of yourself, there are many gifts that flow back to you. Those gifts are more valuable than trinket or bauble. Those are gifts of friendship, love and gratitude, all of which are very humbling and heart warming.
So proud to be part of a winner
Just as the the Eagles turned an impossible dream into a reality by winning Super Bowl LII, I believe that the work being done by all RHBE volunteers is trying to do the same thing – one mile at a time! I am so proud to be involved.
Question for next year???? Will the band be getting back together? Only time will tell.
Oh and one last time… E – A – G – L – E – S EAGLES!!!!!